Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rock Polishing

When I'm reading to the kids during our homeschooling time, sometimes the subject matter reveals larger truths to me.  A few weeks ago, we read about polishing rocks.  In order to polish a rock, you need to find a rock that is harder than your rock.  Once you do, you must repeatedly rub your rock against that harder rock until your rock is smooth.


Isn't that how it is in the relationships we choose?  Sometimes we're surprised at how different we are from our spouse or best friend.  There are areas we may just clash.  Sometimes I can be hard on my husband about his intense work drive, but it is that intense work drive that drew me to him.  It also inspires me to be more driven and goal oriented in the work I do.  I used to wonder at myself as a child, that I chose friends who could be so matter of fact and sometimes harsh.  I think it's because I craved balance for my people pleasing tendencies and admired their leadership.  In the same way, I would think that my husband was drawn to my artistic and creative tendencies, which I know contrast his computer programmer's mind.  When we are in relationship with a person who is "harder" than us in some ways, it refines those areas we have that are a little rough.  We are forced to grow or learn.  It is a clumsy dance, this polishing, but when drawn upon in thoughtful ways, it helps us to become who we are meant to be.

The above photo came from this site, in case you would like to read about rock polishing.  :)  http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a07/57/cd/easy-rock-polishing-800X800.jpg

3 comments:

  1. People polishing, I love it! So true though. One of my husbands favorite verses is "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I was thinking of that verse as I was writing this!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!