Thursday, July 28, 2011

Wanna See Something Neat?

Are you my mother?
 This evening, we intended to visit to the local mega plant nursery with my brother, his family, and my parents.  Alas, when we arrived, we found it was four minutes 'til closing!  We decided to try a place I've driven by for years that was right across the interstate, called "Choi's Nursery."  It was open!  We were greeted by the owner, and walked across what looked like hand placed pavers that made up the parking lot.

Just one for now
We entered directly into the greenhouses.  Fans were whirring everywhere.  It was obvious that Choi's main business must be hanging baskets and bedding plants, because the bulk of the flowers were petunias, fuschias and red geraniums.  These plants are not my favorite, simply because they are everywhere, and I almost thought we should go.  He was so friendly though, and i noticed lots of great prices posted, so we persisted in finding some plants for my mom.  Happily, perennials were on sale, so we found some lilies, some "Hen and Chicks" and some columbines.  While we were making our choices, the owner walked up to my 5 year old and I and said, "Wanna see something neat?"  We had no choice but to follow him, he seemed so excited.  

Asking with all their might
 Outside, where he kept the fuschia baskets beneath a tent, he stopped.  He pulled back some leaves on one basket, and said..."It's a nest!  There are baby birds inside."  We looked, and ask he rustled the leaves near the nests, little yellow and red mouths were instantly agape, waiting for a tasty morsel.  He pointed out a few unhatched eggs, and said that the babies had just hatched recently.  They were scrawny and floppy, and they were beautiful!  When I showed my mom, she and my daughter sighed simultaneously at the sweetness of them.

Look at the interesting little teeth in the roof of their mouths

Plum tuckered out

One last call for momma

Mommy's close by making noise

I thought i might get some pretty photographs of flowers, but instead, I got something more beautiful... a memory of the first time my five and two year olds had ever seen baby birds in a nest.  We were readying our purchases, when the owner brought out a weed-whacker and asked if any of us knew how to start it.  He had just bought it, and couldn't get it working.  My brother got to save the day, then plants were paid for at an extra discount.   We parted from there, very satisfied with our great deals and sweet experience, and I think the owner was just as pleased with his now functioning weed whacker.  I think I'm glad the mega-nursery was closed.  

Most fun nursery award

Impressive pavers

It was too good of a day to be done, so we went on a walk at dusk with the family and even the goats who are going to fair.  I found a slug and got down on the ground to capture him in all his grandeur.  My husband had requested a shot highlighting slug eyes, so that was the pursuit.  The sunset was the perfect punctuation for a satisfying summer day.


What do I see???

Not sure she is interested in a walk....

Sunset from our place.... i finally put the strings on my bean trellis, inspired by the master garden examples in marysville.  the bean trellis is on the bottom left.  yay!

Ok, I enhanced this, but it looks really pretty!

View from our fencepost.  Nearly dark.  My 5 year old's garden and the mountains beyond.






2 comments:

  1. Enhancing doesn't need to be admitted....All's fair in Love and Photography!

    Love the baby birds

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!