Friday, August 5, 2011

How I Make a Hank of Yarn out of a Skein


I had to make a hank of the silk yarn I spun this year, so I could turn it in at the fair.  It ended up winning first place.  Yay! Here's my way of winding it, since I didn't have any thing fancy.  I put a folding chair upside down on a stool.  I put two beaters in the end of my spinning wheel bobbin, then i wound the yarn diagonally around two legs of the chair.  Be sure to tie your beginning yarn in a bow around one chair leg, so you can undo it later.



My awesome bobbin contraption

the whole setup


When I was done, I tied the beginning yarn to the end yarn, but first I cut off four lengths as follows.  

Once I had finished winding the yarn around, I broke off four 9 inch lengths of the yarn.  

I used these to secure the wound yarn in place.  I wove it under, over and under.  

I held the top thread


then i wrapped the top thread around the top section of yarn, and back through, so that three sections  of  yarn were totally wrapped, in a figure eight that has 3 bumps.  

Once I got to the bottom, i tied the two loose ends in a bow.


Did the same on the other side. 

The folding chair made it easy to loosen, so i could turn the skein to the other side, so i could secure two more spots.   You secure four spots on the skein all together with the 3 bump figure eight.




All four sections are secure,  I tied the beginning and end of the skein yarn together in a bow.  

Then i took it off the chair

Pretty!

Close up of figure eight


Here's how you make the pretty hanks you see in the yarn shops.  Pull taut.

Twist opposite directions.


Twist till it wants to fold back on itself

Take your thumb and facilitate the folding back on itself.



It will naturally twist

You tuck one loose end inside the other


Instant replay



Instant replay again


See how the loop from one hand is pulled through the loop that was around the other hand?



Voila!  Fair Ready!

3 comments:

  1. That is AMAZING!! How did you get the shots of your own hands?

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!