Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Place with Enough Time for Everything


Today, I was thinking about what the main source of my frustrations in life are.  Most of them center around time.  There's not enough time to visit with family and keep the house in order.  Nor is there time to help the kids show at fair and to keep the garden weeded.  I understand that there is the chance to prioritize, but even in prioritizing, there is the inevitable loss of something.

Then I thought about Heaven.  What is it that is so alluring about eternity?  It's been a question that has bothered my mind for always, but today my mind wrapped a tendril of understanding around the concept.  If there is time without end, that means that there is time enough to see the world.  It says in the Bible that there will be a new Heaven and a new Earth, and I imagine them to be essentially the same, but without things like stress, hate, anger, and frustration.  Many of these sad things stem from the brokenness that comes from not enough time....not enough time to fulfill dreams, to mend relationships, to communicate properly.  Another source for the frustrations of life is hopelessness.  Without hope, people become desperate, and even inhuman.  With time, and without the deadline of death, there is hope.  This, I believe, will make Heaven different.

   There would be enough time to sit with my grandmother, and to learn the history of our family, and also to travel all over the world, visiting places like Peru, Antarctica and the Galapagos islands..  The great thing is, the world is always changing.  As soon as I leave a location, something new will happen there, making it a forever interesting place to revisit.  In our current constraints of time and human limitations like money and obligations, this could never be fathomed, but in heaven it could!

And all those things I have wanted to try, like weaving on a loom or spinning thread on a charka...I'd have time for those.  And maybe Gandhi would even sit and join me for a spell.  Jesus might try his hand at it as well.  I imagine peaceful rest alongside fruitful work to be paramount in Heaven.  Without time, there is time enough to rest, and still to work many hours in the garden, alongside the bees, slugs and people I love.
Although there will be all the time possible to do things, heaven will not breed sloth.  Instead, with the glimmer of hope that comes with the chance for a do-over, there will not be insecurity.  Confident in the knowledge we will gain by being in daily communion with God, we will try anything.  We'll finally be who we were created to be.  I want to live my life now in light of that hope.


"As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me," declares the LORD, "so will your name and descendants endure. Isaiah 66:22

1 comment:

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!