Saturday, January 21, 2012

How to make a snow granita

Snow granitas chilled and ready to serve....mmmmmm. I want one now!
We loved eating snow ice cream this week, but just before the thaw, a friend told me about snow granitas.  Have you ever had a granita at a coffee shop?  It's essentially iced coffee with milk and sugar, blended with ice.  With snow granitas, mother nature has done the work for you, and your ice is ready to go in the form of snow!  I decided not to look up a recipe so I could post my own recipe right here on my blog.  

Snow Granitas

What you'll need:

6 quart pan
large spoon
1 1/2  coffee mugs full of coffee (doesn't matter if it's hot)
1/2 cup sugar (add more to taste)
1/4 cup powdered milk (I didn't have milk.  You might substitute 1/2 cup of milk instead)

I got out my 6 quart pan and filled it 3/4 full with snow.  I had the best luck when I mixed the sugar and powdered milk with the coffee before pouring it on the snow.  You can pour them directly into the snow, but the sugar crystals may not dissolve and the powdered milk may be lumpy.  I tried pouring both hot coffee and room temp coffee, and it didn't make too much of a difference.  I actually liked that the snow was melted a little more by the hot coffee.  

After you mix the sugar and powdered milk into the coffee, just pour it over the snow and mix.  Put it in a mug and drink it or eat with a spoon.  Add more sugar, milk and even coffee to taste.  I liked mine not too strong, so this may be a milder recipe.  I left the pan out in the cold as the snow thawed, and the snow melted into iced coffee that kind of tasted like a bottled frappucino.  Yummy and successful experiment!


Not to be left out, Saraiah made her own "granita."  It has no coffee.  I told her she was allowed to use honey.  When I cleaned it out, I discovered she had used about 1/4 cup of honey and about 3 T of raisins.  There is also snow.  I tasted a bit on my fingertip because I was squeamish about the raisins.  It was tasty.  Note to self: honey might be a yummy option for snow sweetening in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!