Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How to Make Snow Ice Cream

Saraiah shows off our feast
We've been snowed in for four days now, and it seems everyone I know is making snow ice cream.  I decided if I grew up loving Hawaiian shave ice, ice cream made from snow wouldn't be too shabby.  It would have really been great fun to make actual shave ice with snow, but I don't have any of those syrups, so we did the next best thing.  The recipes we saw online called for milk, sweet cream, half and half or sweetened condensed milk.  All we had was evaporated milk, so we adapted.  Here's how we made it.  It was apparently very tasty because the kids couldn't stop telling me how thankful they were that I made it.

Easy Snow Ice Cream

What you need:

1 big pot of fresh, clean snow (I used my big 8 quart soup pot)
1 can of evaporated milk (this is about 1 1/4 cup)
3/4 c sugar
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
1 giant stirring spoon
A healthy appetite, preferably induced by a day full of sledding and snow fort making.

Plan ahead by putting your empty pot, giant stirring spoon and evaporated milk outdoors in the snow to get nice and cold.  This way your snow will stay frosty when you're mixing everything together.  I did this before we cleaned the kitchen from the day's worth of food fetching and dirty dish making.  After about 20 minutes, we filled the pot with snow and brought it, the evaporated milk and spoon indoors.  I drizzled the vanilla, evaporated milk and sugar over the snow and mixed, then served it all up into bowls.  Some people wanted chocolate syrup on theirs, others had chocolate chips.  The chocolate chips tasted great.  Experiment all you like, but most importantly, let them eat snow!

The girls tried theirs with chocolate syrup















1 comment:

  1. Hey, we have evaporated milk that I've been wanting to use because I never know what to use it for. We'll do that tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!