Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hillary's Lemon Rhubarb Squares



My friend Hillary is amazing.  She composts everything, cans, gardens, and has the best recipes!  She's the one who gave me the recipe for snow granitas, which we made during our week of being snowed in.  

We had a game night at my friend Josie's house, and Hillary's lemon rhubarb squares were a hit.  We all had to have the recipe.  It's spring, and we have lots and lots of rhubarb out there, even after giving away a big hunk of the plant early this spring and letting it go to seed last year.  These are WONDERFUL!  They were so good, my husband got thirds.  This is my favorite rhubarb recipe yet, though I have yet to try my friend Monika's rhubarb cake.  
 
Lemon Rhubarb Squares


CRUST:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. softened butter
mix and press into a 9x12 in. pan.
bake @350 for 15 minutes
While that is baking, mix the filling.

 

FILLING:
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. flour
1 c. coconut (optional and it wasn't in hers or mine)
2 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
mix together (the original recipe calls for the rhubarb to be mixed with the filling ingredients, but she likes to put the rhubarb on the cooked crust and then pour the filling over that. She says it is a more even application of rhubarb that way. )
2 1/2 c. diced rhubarb
Bake for 35-40 minutes.
When cool, dust with powdered sugar.

Sooooooo YUMMY!

1 comment:

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!