Thursday, May 31, 2012

How to Make Musubi


Spam musubi is a part of growing up in Hawaii.  A relic recipe from WWII, the rations of SPAM meat were added into the traditional omusubi that locals of Japanese descent made.   Every 7-11 in Hawai'i sells musubi, and it is one of my favorite things to eat after a day at the beach.  This is not the case here in Washington state, where one is more likely to find an espresso stand at every convenience store.   

I had to have my musubi fix here, so I bought an acrylic musubi mold when we were in Hawai'i a few years ago.  Last year we found that Costco there sells gigantic packages of Nori , which is the edible seaweed paper that you wrap around the sushi.  You can find musubi molds online, like this one at Amazon.com.  Nori can be found in the Asian foods section of any major grocery store.  I have a vegetarian in my house, plus I can't seem to get myself to pay $4 a can for SPAM lately, so we made musubi with just eggs, rice and nori.  They turned out to be delicious and were gone before the evening was done.

First fry eggs.  I fried about 2 eggs per person in the family.  I scrambled them a bit, then let the eggs settle and cook slowly so that they were still a little moist but firm.

Cook your rice, being sure that it is sticky and wet.  I always make sure that I add extra water if I'm using jasmine rice only, but this time I had some sushi rice that I mixed in, which helped hold the rice together.  Cook the amount of rice you generally would for a family meal.
When the rice is done cooking, mix in a solution of 2-3 Tablespoons of water and 2-3 Tablespoons of vinegar, mixed with 2-3 teaspoons of sugar to make a sweet and tart sticky rice mixture

Buy some Nori, then split it at the perforations, or just so that you have strips that are about  3-4 inches wide.  

Get your acrylic mold, or, in a pinch you could use a SPAM can.  Just be careful for jagged edges and use it at your own risk!.  I lay out the strips of nori on a sheet of aluminum foil.

Put about 1 inch of water in the bottom of a bowl to wet your finger when you seal the nori for your musubi.
Set the mold on the middle of the sushi.  Put your filling in the bottom.  If it is spam, you will wait until you have molded the rice, setting the spam on the shaped rice, then folding the nori over it.  
Press about 1/3-1/2 cup of rice into the mold. over the egg,  Push the press down while lifting the mold up and off the shaped rice.  Then, fold the nori over the molded rice, wetting the end so it will stick.
Rest the finished musubi on the newly sealed nori, helping to seal it more.  Wrap in foil or plastic wrap, or eat right away!  Remember to remove the foil and plastic wrap if you reheat it in the microwave.
Onolicious!

3 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I bet you could add stuff to the wrap too... So I take it you serve it all warm still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we eat it as warm as we can. I think you could p ut anything inside it you like. Pickled plums...someone told me she loves it with chicken katsu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I cannot wait to make this! I've only eaten it with Spam so this will be a new taste. Maybe I can get the kids to eat some too! If I want share, that is. :)
    (Kristi)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!