Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Raindrops on Roses


I played Gretl in the Sound of Music when I was in sixth grade.  Today was a rainy day that seemed to mirror my attitude about decisions I have to make in my life lately.  I began to sing in my mind..."Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens" and then a later verse "when the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad..." 

My friend told me that her husband, a musician, was awaiting delivery of a replacement ipod, and I thought how I'd feel if my camera were out of commission and I couldn't take pictures.  Photography is one of my favorite things for certain.  I started to think about how beautiful raindrops on roses really must be, and sought out the wild roses on our street.  On my way, I noticed that a rose bush I had previously thought only had ugly rootstock roses now had lovely little red buds.  I certainly was feeling much better, camera in hand, noticing the light bouncing around inside the drops of water that covered everything.

Do you remember when forwards were a popular email phenomenon?  Now I think the same concept happens on social networks when people share funny or inspiring things.  A forward I was sent in college was all about "natural highs."  It was essentially a list of favorite things.  Together with some friends, I made three posters on the back of an old desk calendar and listed all the favorite things I could think of.  Those posters are now on the wall of my little girls' room, and many of the same things bring me joy.  I hope that list shares with my children a little bit of who I was, and how I'm really not so different.

So today, I'll share some of my favorite things I experienced just throughout the course of this day.

Seeing a gold finch pair flitting around in the garden,
Watching a bluejay land so heavily on a branch that the raindrops on it cause a deluge
Speaking with friends on the phone and going from downtrodden to joyful
Watching milk drip down the side of a baby goat's mouth
Seeing poppies nearly collapse under the weight of the raindrops that cover them
Listening to my girls chatter like characters from an anime show
Watching my son zoom down the road on his bike wearing a jacket with no shirt
Witnessing my father in law milk a goat for the first time
Seeing in her eyes the deep love that Brandon's aunt has for her late husband
Watching Grandpa Chuck plug his ears at the boisterous noise of our family together
Hearing Grandma Vi tell me I'm such a good mother
Reading Beatrix Potter to the little girls

Sharing my favorite things about today.

What were your favorite things about your day?








 



2 comments:

  1. I was going type something else favorite, but then I saw "You might also like.....Ballet and Blood." and I smiled because I remembered the story, how horrible that would be, and then, *giggle* that you named your blog post in such a way. Like a 6 yr old version of the black swan or something.

    Okay, Other Favorites
    Same, Papa with Plugged Ears.
    That my kid's favorite friends are my favorite friend's kids.
    A not so cuddly, rather spunky kitten,
    Taking pictures without a reason
    making lists
    Having a sister that gets me even though we spent 20ish years without knowing each other.
    reading your blog!!!!(corny?? ;) a bit, but true)

    ReplyDelete
  2. people commenting sweet and fun things is also on my list of faves

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!