Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grandma's Broccoli Salad



Today I harvested the first large crowns from our broccoli plants.  I have been craving my Grandma's broccoli salad, so I had to make some for dinner.  I think she told it that she first made it back when she was teaching home economics.  Thankfully I was able to find my old inkjet-printed 1999 copy of the recipe.

my old recipe paper
I have never had broccoli taste so good.  The tenderness of the fresh broccoli was a pleasant surprise for my mouth.  If you need a great broccoli salad recipe, this one is excellent and utterly adaptable.  You can use less mayo, no onions, no bacon bits, substitute sunflower seeds for the peanuts or craisins for the raisins.  It's simple, easy and will be a hit at your next summer potluck.

Here's how you do it:

I'm writing it mostly verbatim from what my mom told me back in '99.

Gradnma's Broccoli Salad

This recipe is for 2 stalks of broccoli.  For a potluck you'll probably want 4 stalks.

Dressing: per 2 stalks of broccoli  (my mom always bought whole stalks, not just the crowns and cut up the stems into bite sized pieces)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1.5 Tbsp sugar

2 stalks broccoli, chopped, peel where tough, discard leaves. 
1 cup raisins (soak in hot water, then drain and squeeze)
 1 med. onion, chopped
bacon bits
peanuts
grated cheese, add just before serving

Mix the dressing in a medium sized bowl.  Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl.  Peanuts, bacon bits and cheese should be added to your taste.  Add dressing.  Chill for about an hour before serving.



1 comment:

  1. I saved the recipe so I can make it now!!! I knew I loved you when the first time you came to a potluck and brought it. it's always been a fav of mine!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!