Monday, July 2, 2012

Wash your hair with baking soda and vinegar!


Sometime over the past year, I heard about people giving up shampoo. Instead, they used baking soda and vinegar to get the extra dirt and oils out of their hair. For me, this could be a big benefit, given that when my 4 year old and 6 year old get a hold of shampoo, they think it is bubble bath, then proceeding to squirt the entire contents of the bottle into their tub. Also, I've been trying to make things myself and to avoid petrochemicals in our cleaning and self care products when I can.

From what i read, when people started to use baking soda and vinegar, their hair took a week or two of looking awful before it actually looked good, and I wasn't interested in doing that. So I decided to transition slowly.

My friend bought me one of the shampoo bars made by Lush. I used that until it ran out, then bought some experimental shampoo bars a soap making friend had recently created. They were superfatted with shea butter, so my hair ended up looking like I was a surfer girl every morning with chunky hair sticking out in gravity defying poses. I guess the residue of the soap was staying on my hair.

This was when I decided to try a vinegar rinse to see if I could remove the residue of the soap. I mixed water and vinegar in equal parts in an old Sriracha Chili Sauce container. It has great small squirty nozzle, so I could squirt all over and right into my roots. The vinegar water did a great job at removing the residue of the shampoo bar.

I decided it was time to try this baking soda stuff. I read online that 1/4 cup of baking soda mixed with about 16 oz of water seems to not leave a residue and rinses well from the hair. I had saved another sriracha hot sauce container and used that. I mixed the 1/4 cup of baking soda with a little bit of water in a mason jar, then poured it in, adding water until I filled it to the top.

And it worked! I found this system worked best when I washed my hair ONLY when it was starting to look a little oily. If I do it more often, residue of the baking soda tends to build up. This ends up being about every 3-4 days. On other days, I just leave my hair alone when I take a shower. I found I really didn't have any transition time of my hair looking very awful, but this may have been because I already went through the gawky stage when I was using the second shampoo bar my friend made.
I've been using this method for several months now and have even received comments on how nice my hair is!

So here's a recipe, if you're one for recipes.


Baking Soda and Vinegar Hair Washing System


*1/4 baking soda mixed with enough water to equal 16 oz. in a squirt bottle

*8 oz. water mixed with 8 oz vinegar in a different squirt bottle



First, wet your hair well, tilting your head back scrubbing your roots with the tips of your fingers, allowing extra oils to wash away with the water.

Next, squirt the baking soda mixture all over your hair, especially getting it right into the roots, scrubbing again with the tips of your fingers.

Go ahead do your other washing while you allow it to soak in, but watch out, it'll hurt if it gets into your eyes, so be sure to wipe the excess liquid off your forehead.

Rinse well.

Repeat the process for the vinegar water mixture, then rinse well. The vinegar is smelly, but it doesn't stay in your hair. No one has complained of a pickle smell on me yet. It does leave the bathroom smelling like vinegar though! You should notice that when you do the vinegar rinse, your hair feels almost immediately smoother as the water washes over it.

Enjoy your beautiful hair and very affordable method of maintaining its cleanliness!

This is how my hair looks on an average day.  This is probably 2 days after the last washing and a half day since bring brushed.  




1 comment:

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!