Saturday, October 13, 2012

Petrichor


When I moved to the Pacific Northwest almost 14 ago, it was not eagerly.  We came essentially out of necessity for a job for my husband because work was scarce in Hawai'i.  I had gone to university here and my husband's entire family was here.  I was leaving my little nuclear family and the rock in the middle of the Pacific I'd always known as home.  We moved to my husband's hometown during one of the coldest, wettest winters that had been experienced in quite a while, and I was frankly quite despondent.

I never knew that moving here could be one of my greatest journeys of faith in God's provision.  As I look back on these years, I realize that we always have had work, housing, and most precious to me, family and friends to support us.  I have to say that the slow drizzle that happens here the bulk of the year has grown on me, so that to live somewhere that is essentially dry would seem very foreign.  I have come to trust God infinitely more deeply because of the ways He has shown me his great love in this place I came to so begrudgingly.

And today, I was moved and comforted by the scent of the rain on the unseasonably dry earth we've had this summer.  The kids learned the name for this at the co-op they attend: petrichor.  Petra comes from the greek for rock and ichor comes from the word for the blood of the gods of Greek mythology.  The word was invented by scientists who studied the oil that plants give off during dry times, possibly to protect themselves from trying to grow before the time is right.  It's fitting then, during this time of reflection and thankfulness, that the scent of this oil is welcoming us into another misty season.  The clouds make the fall colors sing and the scent of moist earth reminds us of the good things we remember about the rain.  I'm ready.  Are you?

The chickens are molting.  We get two a day.  One is laid in the hay barn; the other is laid in the chicken nesting boxes. 
One of the veggie starts I'm managing to keep watered.  I'm not sure how they will fare.  I started them at the right time, but stunted them by not watering. 
Little green alder cones being eyed very quizzically
The pond at my parents' property has been 2-3 feet lower than normal.  It has been dry and has felt very strange.  Many of my fall starts haven't thrived simply because I am so spoiled by never having to water in a normal year.
boys and their weapons
My husband is just a kid at heart


look at this little cocoon!



Remnants of one of the last sunny days

Hopi black dye sunflower.  The goats have been believing that the grass is definitely greener on the other side.  This sunflower was the unlucky victim of that belief as it hung right in the path of their escape.
We had our first 2 hard frosts and the peppers were finally done...

goodbye zucchini

chard is thriving in the cooler weather
last harvest of the summer weather crops

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!