Sunday, November 4, 2012

A needle felted Lalaloopsy!

Her wool Lalaloopsy and her store bought Lalaloopsy are best buddies

My most wonderful niece turns three this week.  Her birthday party was Saturday, and I still hadn't been able to get to the store to get what I had planned for her.  I know that she loves Lalaloopsy dolls, which are from a tv show for children about little rag dolls and their adventures.  You can buy these plastic dolls at pretty much any store, so it was easy to find pictures online.

I am not a great seamstress, so I got out the wool and the felting needles, and my daughter and I made her a doll.  Being the ever wise wise 6 year old, she said, after having complained that what we were doing was impossible: "Nothing's impossible until you try it."  Those are some insightful words that I hope she takes even a step further, trying things again, even when she fails the first time.  I hope that the completion of this task will help her to remember to always question the "impossibility" of each hard thing she encounters in life.

The doll was not perfect in any sense.  In fact her legs fell off soon after we gave my niece the doll because I had forgotten to sew the pants to the body!  She is not well felted because we worked on her so quickly, but I think it is the idea and the love that went into it that counts.  It is the fact that we saw what seemed rather insurmountable, and did it anyway because we love my niece.

Here are a few pictures, so you might try it if you're ever inspired.

We started with the head.  I carded some goat hair I had dyed with Hawaii red dirt,  rolled it into a somewhat dense ball, then needlefelted like crazy.  In the future, I would use only sheep's wool for this, because the soft goat hair doesn't felt as readily.  For the legs and arms, we carded batts the size of the hand carders we have, then rolled them lengthwise and width-wise respectively, in order to get the correct length.  I took some extra fiber off the batts for the arms.  Saraiah shaped the feet and I shaped the hands.  After that, it was needle felting like crazy.

I took a batt of blue wool and shaped it like the Lalaloopsy hair, needle felting lines for the strands.  For the braids on either side of her head, I braided in tact locks of wool then felted them to the head.
The first thing she did with the doll was to allow her legs to hang, bouncing her up and down, just like the dolls on the show.  The doll isn't this green. It's just the way the lighting of the room showed up on camera.
We felted dark wool foor the button eyes, taking a strand and needle felting it out for the eyelashes.  A thin piece of wool made the mouth.  The Cheeks were little tufts of pink wool.  For the socks and shoes, we felted white wool around the foot, then felted pink wool around the foot in the shape of some maryjanes.  The body is made of a big roll of wool that comprises two carder sized batts, needle felted into a cylindar.  I took some old bratz and moxygirl clothes, and some doll bloomers for the clothes and sewed them on.  I stiched the legs to the bloomer legs and forgot to stitch the pants to the body.  That's all!  I forgot ribbons for her hair.  Maybe if I get her back for repairs, I can add those on!
Princess Lalaloopsy

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful doll, I bet she's more like a "rag" doll than a plastic one!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!