Thursday, November 8, 2012

Legislating Morality



I have heard the argument that we should not legislate morality.  What then, is law, if not some form of legislating morality?  In some foreign countries, speed limits are not enforced.  It is not believed that speeding is wrong.  In our country, it is believed that speeding is dangerous and, in a sense, wrong, and therefore legislation has been produced that sets a monetary penalty.

There is the argument that laws are being broken all the time, and so we should relax them or even repeal them, gaining some sort of fiscal or carnal benefit from changing them, rather than continuing to fight the problem.

To me, this is like allowing my child to continue to yell at me because she will not stop.  In my house, it is the rule that my children should not shout or speak rudely to me.  This does not mean it stops.  Sometimes they yell very hurtful things at me, but I forge on, asking them to be respectful because I know someday they will be put into society and should show honor for others.

In the same way, I believe that it is good and well to continue to attempt to legislate morality.  I love our country for this: that we are willing to attempt boundaries around things that may produce potential issues between our citizens, may cause harm to our citizens, or may inhibit their inherent freedoms.

I love that we as a country have the freedom to argue, debate intelligently, respectfully agree or disagree, and then to vote on these issues without fear of reproach.  I believe it is good and healthy to legislate morality, especially if it is done in a fair and democratic way.  We should not be afraid to stand by our convictions and to vote accordingly.  It is the only way our law can truly reflect the heart of our nation.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! (hmmm, wondering how much of our conversation fed into this... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!