Sunday, February 24, 2013

Faith's Colt


The day before her due date, Faith, my in-laws' mare foaled.  She had lots of people watching over her on a web-casted video feed, and thank goodness!  My sister in law was the one who noticed she was laying down and acting more peculiar than normal.  Thank goodness our kids happened to be staying over at grandma and grandpa's, because my husband and I were able to zoom down when we saw the camera feed, and everyone, kids included, was able to watch the miracle of birth.  Faith is a very big quarter horse and was bred to and even larger overo stallion, but the colt is a solid sorrel colt.  This isn't the first choice for people breeding horses, but he's beautiful.  They'll get a second chance, as faith will be bred back to the same stallion within the week.  The colt is tall...his back way past my father in law's waist.  I remember another foal born on their farm several years ago was so teeny, she could run right under her mommy.  Not so with this boy!

Here are pictures of his first few moments.  I didn't want to get too much in momma's face, so the pictures aren't prime photography, but they convey the beauty and emotion of the moment, I think.

First moments
Laying down and laboring.
Just born
Checking to see what sort of little guy this is... a solid sorrel colt.










Learning to stand

 

Mom supported him as he tried to stand.

Petting the soft new baby.


1 comment:

I love it when people comment! Thanks for taking the time to do so!